Monday, January 01, 2007

GCFF VII: This year's Gotham City Film Festival '06 was a success...in spite of obstacles!!!

Howdy all. If you didn't get to attend '06's GCFF on December 6th, you missed one hell of an event, and I'm just now getting around to commenting on it. Let me end the suspense: GRAVE SILENCE won the Best Film Award, with Best Directors going to its pair of directors: Ryan Simmers and Bethany Koch. Other awards worth mentioning were Christina Christensen winning Best Actress, Tenea Hunter winning Best Supporting Actress, Reed Wilcox winning Best Supporting Actor, Alex Salas winning GCFF Maverick & GCFF MVP, Steve Scruby winning GCFF Maverick, and John Ross winning Best Villain. I thought the show was a success due to the efforts of a large number of people, including Silent Tom, Alex Salas, Rachel Wimmer, Jenny Matsuki, Steve Scruby, and so many more that it's hard to mention them all. There were some obstacles this year, including computer difficulties at the festival, a poor turn-out of 6 films finishing, and many of the films looking rushed due to lack of planning and production on part of the filmmakers. GRAVE SILENCE, on the other hand, looked like it had been crafted over a few weeks, and even with its minor glitches, was the hands-down best choice for effort. A large number of my former students/GCFF award winners came back to present awards, and I'd love to thank them all, or at least the ones I can remember: Jarrell, Matt M, and Matt C, Chris W, Hollie, Rachel W, Kaitlyn G, Neal, Dan & the Mighty Nuge, and the Dark One himself...Lazenby. Thanks so much you guys, I love to see you all come back and support us...it means the world to me. I want to congratulate all the filmmakers, and vow to make '07's GCFF bigger and better than ever before. I will more "hands-on" with the festival production this year, since I have begun learning some things on computer, and am about to take over the Television Production Class at OPHS. I also have a few other ideas in mind to raise the bar yet again. This festival needs to keep growing and getting better...since the only other choice is to stagnate and die. As long as the kids keep wanting to work, I'll keep doing it. Hope to see you all there this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home