Sunday, October 15, 2006

GCFF Part One: The Pitch Process

The GOTHAM CITY FILM FESTIVAL is underway people, and here is yours truly, The James, with a post on the first part of the process that every filmmaker must pass just to qualify for the right to direct a film in the festival: The Pitch. I could be the soulless bastard that most believe me to be anyway, and just let any kid make a film. That would be easy. It would also be easy, and somewhat amusing to then watch their grades crumble along the way with their self-esteem, as they slowly begin to understand the difference between the "idea" of doing something and the reality of the commitment involved in creating something as intensive as an original film. So, to eliminate the "dreamers" from the "doers"...I decided to have them pitch their idea to me, just like they would have to do with any producer in the real world, if they were lucky enough to get an actual meeting. The minimum requirements for the pitch are actually quite simple, but it's sufficient to bring out the best in some, acquaint others with the realities of what they might be facing, and frighten off the few who don't have what it takes to do the job. All that was required was 1) A typed summary of the 10 minute film with working title, and 2) A scene-by-scene outline of the film with actual locations specified for each scene. This lets me know that they are serious, have planned out what story they want to tell, and that they have scouted out possible places to shoot. THAT'S ALL....NOT EVEN A SCRIPT!!!! So...I had about 15 directors (either solo or in pairs) sign up to pitch...and here's the result:

1. Reed Wilcox's BLINK: Reed's a classy guy that has a lot of clout with me. His brother, Neal, acted for me for 4 years in shows, and Reed was even acting for me before he became an Orange Park High student in one of my shows. He and his brother have won GCFF awards before for the BLADES & BUCCANEERS flicks, and his own SIMPLE INSANITIES that he shot with Steve Scruby last year. So...I wasn't really worried about Reed taking this seriously, since it wasn't going to be his first barbeque. Anway, he met me at Firehouse (always a smart move pitching to me at a favorite food spot of mine) and told me about his suspenseful labyrinthine journey of the mind film that he calls BLINK. I was impressed, as usual, and it was easy to approve him even when he candidly told me that he was still working out the ending. Funny thing is, Reed isn't even my student, and has never been, but he loves Drama and filmmaking, and meets every deadline that my kids do because of his sheer love of the craft. APPROVED.

2. Alex Salas' CAN YOU FEEL IT: Alex is pretty much an MVP around the Drama Empire. I count on him, Bethany, and Megan to handle a ton of stuff that I couldn't do alone, so when he expressed interest in doing a film this year, he really could have handed me anything and I would have worked with him on making it acceptable. Like I said, the kid has earned his spurrs in Drama, but let me also say that he is......."unique." Anything Alex does, it's very......"Alex." He just has his own way of seeing the world, and when he told me that he wanted to shoot a musical, with NO DIALOGUE, and even NO ACTUAL SINGING, but with characters lip-synching popular songs for their communication in the film......................................I was a little concerned. However, Alex Salas would not be deterred. I will work with him as best I can, but I am still very concerned; not so much about his grade (he earns more extra credit than any other 5 people) but........with his sanity. CAN YOU FEEL IT?.......I'm starting to think I can.........APPROVED.

3. Steve Scruby's THE ASSET: Possibly one of the most intelligent, articulate, and insightful kids I've ever had the pleasure to work with, Steve is making his own film this year, and it's a 50's Film Noirish Hard-boiled style Detective drama. Of course, he had a definitive story, articulate presentation, had done his research on the genre, but I do worry for him in regards to costuming, sets, and getting people to take his vision (which is often beyond most of the norms) seriously. However, it's Steve...and he does work magic with groups in Drama, so I extend the benefit of the doubt. He's also, along with Reed Wilcox, among the most technologically proficient filmmakers in regards to editing and post-production. I've got my fingers crossed for this one. APPROVED.

4. Chloe Reed's WHO IS MR. R?: Chloe, Chloe, Chloe....this girl is one of a kind. I have always known that she has intelligence, charm, and sophistication but I think that it's finally going to be on display for the world to see this year. It's her 3rd year in my Drama class, and she's directing her first film which would have to be described as a suspense-driven psychological drama. Now, her outline had some problems, which we worked through, and one of the things I love about this girl is while she's tough and stands by her decisions, she is never to pig-headed or obstinate to take direction, especially when you can get her to see problems and then come up with solutions. I sent her away from the initial pitch meeting with suggestions, and she PROMPTLY came back quickly with corrections. In fact, I was extremely impressed with her ideas, and her wish to do something beyond the cliche High School type of story that most girls her age would be obsessed with. I'm a Chloe Reed fan, to be honest, and can't wait to see WHO IS MR. R.? After two subsequent meetings.....APPROVED.

5. Nicalette Thomas' COLOR BLIND: Nikki is one of 2 Drama 1 students who are making first films this year, and that means they have to be at the top of the heap. Ordinarilly, I want Drama 1 students to wait and watch the Advanced kids make films just to see what the process is like, but Nikki would not be denied. She had a story she desperately wanted to tell, and pitched her idea accordingly. Her film is a drama based on the problems that an interracial relationship might engender within the couple's family, friends, and surrounding environment. I was impressed with how seriously she took the pitch process, and hope she finds sufficient support along the way to ensure her film's completion. APPROVED.

6. Emily Hancock & The Valeri Kernell's JUST PLAIN WRONG: E-Ha and TVK doing a film together sounds like a recipe for success to me. They are definitely a yin/yang combination as each has what the other needs to be a dominating force in this highly competitive endeavor. While Val has the top-notch story-telling and script-writing skills along with organization, Em has an unstoppable source of creativity, spontaneity, and energy that when focused makes magic happen. One rules the original scripted realm, and the other rules the world of improv...sounds like a match ready to unleash itself on the GCFF. After batting around a number of ideas, including Stalker's Club (An idea inspired by both of their preferred dating methods), they decided on something closer to home with an unpretentious high school comedy, which is actually both a nice change of pace from our other grim toned entries, and could possibly the sleeper "feel-good" film of the festival. I think both these ladies rock, and am hoping for the best. APPROVED.

7. Erica Law & Samantha "Trees" Ivansco's NEW WORLD ORDER: I just met Erica this year, and she's been great in Advanced Drama, and this is the second year I've had the tiny force of nature that the classes refer to as Trees in my class, but when I heard that these two wanted to do a film...I was a bit concerned. Why? Well, much as I love Trees....and it's hard not to with her positivity and bizarred elfin laughter echoing in our warehouse-like environment, she's not the most organized kid walking the earth. Another thing that Erica shares with her is that they aren't exactly forceful personalitites, and that's something that I think a successful director has to be, on occasion, but especially when dealing with kids their age. That was at the start, then when they told me it was a Vampire film.....I was even more concerned. The possibility of a horrible cliche-driven accident of nature and grade-annhilating fatal thrust began to appear before me, but Trees and Erica assured me that it was a simple film in nature and that they wanted to do it more than anything. I don't know what I was thinking, but I eventually relented after they agreed to a few minor revisions and confirming locations. While I admit to being revulsed to yet another LARP-inspired idea becoming film, I guess with as many Drama kids into that as I have, it was inevitable. Maybe Trees just bewitched me, but...APPROVED.

8. Ryan Simmers & Bethany Koch's GRAVE SILENCE: Just an incredible pair of people that I've had the pleasure of working with for 4 years now. Both have worked for me extensively in class, in shows, and in the film festival as actors and offscreen duties. This year marks their first collaboration as directors, and I'm truly excited for them both. As far back as last year, I remember Bethany talking about making a film this year, and she and Ryan came up with ideas over the summer all in anticipation of where we are now. Their pitch was the most professional of the bunch, with summary, outline, script, and even test photos of their ZOMBIES in action. A story that begins with tragedy, love, and with zombies shot as a silent film will definitely be one not to be missed. I also have a credit in this one, since I inadvertently gave them the title for the film. This pair of insanely talented people will be a force to be reckoned with this year, and the other filmmakers should definitely view them with fear! APPROVED.

9. Chris Sirmans' THE LEGACY: The second Drama 1 student to take on the Herculean task of directing a film, Chris is a bright guy who steps forward from a crew of kids I know and respect to establish himself as a force to be reckoned with. His story follows a kid who is presented with the prospect of inheriting something fantastic from his dying grandfather, and the dilmmas that will be associated with possessor of this gift. I look forward to this film as well, as its subject matter is unique in the festival. Hopefully, if his very professional pitch and subsequent alterations in the outline are any indication, the film will capture the emotions of the characters and have intriguing storytelling that will make this short film palatable to the audience. APPROVED.

10. John Ross' HUNTER: A working title at the moment, it's the latest feature from John Ross, last year's GCFF Maverick and Best Director Awards winner for his previous flick, THE UNSEEN. I have nothing but high hopes for this one too, which is also suspense-driven with horrific twists that seem to emerge from his acknowledged influences of Miike, Wook-Park, Gilliam, and others. While never one of my Drama students, but a former English Honors student and I Troupe player in "Harvey V.2," John has a great deal of talent that I hope goes through the same focused process he used last year to produce a film that was simultaneously accessible to the mainstream audience, but unmistakably his own unique vision. Only someone with his credentials could have shown up at the meeting in less than professional attire (dressed for his part-time job which he would be leaving for) so I stole one from him at last year's GCFF where he was sufficiently dressed. End result...APPROVED.

These are the 10 FILMS that made the cut. There were 3 others that pitched, and for various reasons they decided not to continue the process. Likewise, 2 other potential films never even made it to the pitch, but that's one of the reasons for this initial step: to separate the "dreamers" from the "doers." Next GCFF update will be at one of the weekly directors meetings, and possibly an interview with one or two of the filmmakers. Until next time, the singal's in the sky...and the people of Gotham need me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! James, it looks like a great competition this year. Can Chris "Nuge" and I be ablt to show up for the screening of these films, and just wait til you see what we are going to be finishing up this year...

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet man. Can't wait...none sound "Burying The Past" worthy, but they sound good. haha.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's me, Steve. I figured that John is pretty much right about Reed. The guy's got like two cameras for each shot! Talk about all out! No worries, though. I have supreme confidence in my film's future virtues (since I haven't really shot it, yet). I'm not really TRYING to win, necessarily, though. My only goal is to make a cool flick that people can view and walk away saying, "Wow. That Steve Scruby guy is pretty good at this film stuff." That's all I want. But anyways, good post, Mr. Howell. I eagerly await the next update. Stay frosty.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home