Sunday, October 22, 2006

ROTJ: THE PRESTIGE

You saw it here first: ROTJ is Review Of The James, and here is one on THE PRESTIGE. I admit to looking forward to this movie ever since BATMAN BEGINS opened last year, and I'm an acknowledged Chris Nolan addict of the highest order ever since MEMENTO, which is one of my favorite films of all time. So...my expectations were high, and that ordinarily spells doom for any film that I'm anxiously awaiting. NOT IN THIS CASE, HOWEVER...IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME, and I mean that in the most sincere, sober tone that I can muster. The story, adapted from Christopher Priest's graphic novel, tells the story of a rivalry between competing Magicians at the conclusion of the nineteenth century. The plot contains surprises and twists that I won't ruin here, but let's just say that if you're smart, and as the movie says "watch closely," then you can figure out what's going on, even if you don't get every thing. I admit to figuring out a few things, but Nolan is such a master at this type of storytelling, that I was only satisfied to the highest degree, and not bored, that the story turned out how I predicted it would. Now I didn't see everything coming, but enough that I was hoping for a "just" conclusion, and Nolan delivered. Coming off the best Batman flick ever made, Nolan took the amazing Christian Bale and legendary Michael Caine to PRESTIGE, and joined them with the charismatic Hugh Jackman and the sultry Scarlett Johanssen for the film's leads. They all perfomed to the height of their abilities, with Caine only getting more nuanced and emotive the older he gets, Bale still protecting his reign in my book as the most talented and intense actor since Daniel Day-Lewis, Jackman probably giving his best performance since the first 2 X-Men flicks, and Scarlett...well I'm sure she was great, but I get lost in just looking at her. David Bowie and Andy Serkis rounded out the main players as Nikola Tesla and assistant, and they brought nothing but class to an already intimidating cast of great players. Folks, I am giving this a 4 on a 5 scale, knocking it only for not totally surprising me, but still being awesome nonetheless. (I love this flick, but have to hold the 5 for films like MEMENTO and PULP FICTION that are landmarks to cinema as a whole itself.) Go see it guys, you won't be disappointed!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesss!!I saw the film saterday in Tampa,it was brilliant.I LOVED Christian Bale's preformance.And i'm always a big fan of Hugh.Like seriously it blew me away.And i was actually suprised at the end at how many people didn't know what was going on!I was like"are you serious?Didn't you pay attention!"I actually had to expain to people i didn't even know what happened.And it actually maked me want to read the book now.Love loved it.

By the way this is Gabby.hehe.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Howell is the best ever...ever.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damnit dude, you beat me to it... now if I start doing reviews it'll seem like a cheap knockoff... bastard... Loved the film by the way

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Bale doesn't say "Im Batman" in this one? Too bad. I guess Ill see it anyway. FYI Scarlett is my other weakness besides Zatanna. Hee Hee

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just review video games, so as to not be a cheese-ass poser off of Mr. Howell. As for the movie, I haven't even seen it yet...Maybe I'll get a crew together and go watch it. That's providing I get off of my ass. Fat chance of that.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's been exactly one month since your last post.


Get off your ass and write foo'!


-Williams-

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home