Sunday, October 08, 2006

GCFF: THE 8TH ANNUAL GOTHAM CITY FILM FESTIVAL 2006 BEGINS AGAIN...

FOTJ, it's almost that time. The time when the filmmakers start rolling, people start scurrying, chaos, betrayals, and mutinies occur, friendships strengthen and fall apart, and grades/reputations are built and demolished. Yes...The GOTHAM CITY FILM FESTIVAL is beginning again! Almost 8 years ago, when I first began teaching, my only rule of thought for the projects I assigned in Drama were..."Would I think that was cool?" Therefore, being a huge cinephile/film afficinado myself, I couldn't help but think that making a film would be a huge learning experience at multiple levels, and provide an awesome sense of accomplishment on its completion, and provide us with various sources of entertainment in the process. I also decided that we should have the films compete against each other in our own festival, beyond just for grades, but for artistic achievement as well. So, I came up with the afore-mentioned Dark Knight-inspired titular film festival. Honestly, we started out REAL GHETTO...most films were horrible, editing was done on two vcr's hooked up together, and the awards ceremony that culminated in the whole project was an in-school production. Hard to believe that 8 years later, it's something that I have independently judged (I will not be stalked over the judging ever again), people dress up for this night-time event like the Oscars, many of my former filmmakers and students make a point of attending, film festival t-shirts are made for the event, and we have over 150 people show up for our ever-increasing professional production. I admit to feeling a sense of pride with how much it has grown, and now, for the first time, I am going to document its progress through every phase of production. You can expect posts on the director pitches, some director meetings, script deadline and reviews, film posters, trailers turned in, and finally...the films themselves. I might even get to take a trip to a few of the sets in production, and an interview or two to boot. (The kids are hams...they'll talk about themselves all day.) Anway, I'm excited about it...I think we have some really talented people wanting to make some truly original and unique films this year, and I hope you follow along with us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GCFF rocks the party, and yes, the early films SUCKED. haha. However, "Burying The Past" is ultimate. I love it so much I have no idea where a copy of it is.

-Williams-

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be rest assured that I'll be bringing the heat this year. Oh yeah. (Oh, this is Steve, by the way) I don't know if I'll win, or even come close, but know this, all you aspiring directors: don't even think about taking Steve Scruby off your list of formidable adversaries, because you bet that I'll be one. Yes, indeed. Wow, I'm just spouting off hot air. Oh, well. You've gotta be confident, right? I mean, hey, it worked for Han Solo. What? He's not real?! Impossible! Anyways, good luck to all you directors. Because trust me, if Steve Scruby is anywhere in the mix, you'll all need it. Haha.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home