Sunday, August 27, 2006


THE DEMISE OF DEADWOOD

Tonight is bittersweet for me, and a significant number of HBO original series viewers. The amazing series, Deadwood, shows its last episode tonight and ends a brilliant three season run. I can't even express my disappointment and frustration at the loss of such a show, especially when the networks seem not just content, but enthused to show endless mind-numbing and cliched crapisodes of other shows that run on, and on, season after season. Yes, I will name names of shows that I think completely suck, and they exist at the behest of lame, risk-averse television executives, less than brilliant viewers, and at the expense of creative shows like Deadwood: Grey's Anatomy (Doctors are not amusing, glamorous, heroic, or intriguing...they are soulless, conceited, self-righteous vampires, same level as lawyers, who make money off your misery), House (See what Doctors are not), DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (get a brain, a life, and a skin mag if all you want to see is hot chicks, people), Entourage (shows about how "awesome" Hollywood life is are for the desperate and pathetic who either won't pursue their own dreams, or waste their time wishing their lives were different. All Hollywood shows should focus on the realities that exist like how nobody is real, they are all drug-addicted, plastic-surgery using, cliche, name-dropping, self-deluded, backstabbing scumbags who'd sell their own mother for more fame), Prison Break (male himbos on a fox network, which hasn't offered anything substantial since the first couple of seasons of XFiles), not to mention the lame-ass "reality shows" likeAmerican Idol, Dancing, Singing, and probably Desperate Ass-Kissing with Celebrities.

I feel almost the same bitter hatred (a Vendetta) towards network television that V felt for the government, but perhaps worse, since I've never longed for entertainment from the government, and they've never shown moments of brilliance that make you hope for more. I can't hold the cast of Deadwood to blame, a brilliant ensemble including Ian McShane, Brad Douriff, Brian Cox, Gerald McRaney, and Timothy Olyphant among others, since none of them are pulling a David Caruso with the producers, and the mortality rate in Deadwood makes no one's continued existence a certainty. 2 two-hour movies were "announced" that would wrap up the 3rd Season's storyline, but no dates have been set, or scheduled...so it might be just a Hollywood pacifier (a giant lie) meant to keep people positive about the last episodes of the show. HBO is certainly losing its good series and picking up crap, as Six Feet Under wasn't good since Season 3, and is now over, Rome will end after this season, Lucky Louie is awful, Entourage makes my list above, The Comeback was ridiculous, and Sopranos is ending. They did bring back The Wire, another fantastic show, for a 4th Season, and I applaud them for that, but they also cut Carnivale after 2 Seasons, and that was a mistake.

No, I don't blame HBO for Deadwood's demise, I blame David Milch. He created Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue, and now Deadwood: that's lighting striking 3x, and 2 were awesome (NYPD Blue & Deadwood). Now his energies are focused on a new drama about some surfer......from the man's man world of Deadwood to a drama about a surfer. Yes, folks I believe that I'll be skipping another HBO show in the future, and perhaps Mr. Milch's work will never be on my viewing schedule again, aside from my dvd sets of Blue and Deadwood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely, i had just gotten into the first season of Deadwood when I heard about this. So i guess I'll just wait for three to hit DVD and watch them marathon style. I've always hated HBO and their shows, at least the way they handle them. The only show on your list I disagree with is HOuse, but that's simply because I enjoy the characters and House's sarcasm. Not to mention any show that has K.C Jones guesting is worth watching for at least that episode

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home